Monday, April 8, 2013

What I learned from the OR Project

Did you learn about your teaching style in the OR project? - Discuss your teaching strengths and weaknesses from this on blog.


While teaching my OR project to a fellow teacher at my school I found out that I did have a specific teaching style that I have grown accustomed to over the past year. I have been a very big advocate of the flipped classroom at my school, so in similar fashion I flipped my OR project. I compiled many video resources describing the technology I had chosen to teach, the Google Drive app for the iPad. I also made a screencast of myself doing a walk-through of all the major features of the app as well as how to setup the app for collaboration in the classroom. One of the strong points about teaching a technology in this way is that the person learning the technology can go back at any time and re-learn the material in the videos, it is no longer a one-stop-shop. One of the weakness however is the amount of time it takes to watch an instructional video about a topic, I found problem out from teaching my students this year. In making an instructional video you must take into account the person watching the video and how often they must pause the video and take notes for example. This can make an 10 minute video turn into a 20 minute video very easily. This makes it very important to limit the amount of material presented in a single screencast. I tried to limit myself in the video I made for the project; however it turned out to be a little over 12 minutes in length.

No comments:

Post a Comment